Wednesday, June 15, 2016
I wanted to share one of the most palette pleasing recipes I have had in quite a while. Avocado and Steak Soft Tacos are easy to make, cook up fast, and use normal basic ingredients. I have had these for dinner and breakfast and love the combination of flavors.
FLAVORFUL AVOCADO AND STEAK SOFT TACO
12 Small Corn Tortillas
1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic
3/4 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp cumin
1 Avocado - firm- but ripe
1 1/2 tsp Olive Oil - Extra Virgin
2 Large Sweet Peppers
1 pound of Round Steak roast- Slice it Thin- but do not cut it into strips yet.
1/3 Cup Red Onions- uncooked
1/2 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
1/4 cup cilantro leaves - torn
2 medium Fresh Limes- cut into wedges
****We used the broiler, but you can do this on the grill.****
1. In a small bowl, combine salt, garlic, chili powder and cumin; set aside.
2. Cut avocado in half and remove pit; Brush cut sides of avocado with 1/2 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon spice mixture.
3. Core and seed red peppers; slice each into 6 rings and place in a large bowl. Drizzle peppers and onions with remaining 1 teaspoon oil; toss with 1 teaspoon spice mixture. Rub remaining spice mixture all over steak.
4. Place peppers and onions on the broiler pan. Broil several minutes until they have a grilled look. Cook them longer if you want them softer. Remove from broiler.
5. Place steaks in broiler over. Cook 4-5 minutes- per side- for medium rare. Remove from oven and let it rest before you cut it into strips.
6. To serve, cut each avocado half into 6 even pieces; mash one piece down center of each tortilla. Layer each with 1 pepper ring, and about 1 ounce steak; garnish with onion, cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce (optional). Yields 1 taco per serving. ENJOY !!
But Wait There is More on that Plate:
Asparagus and Turkey Bacon
1/2 Bundle of Asparagus
3 Slices of Turkey Bacon
Bacon Flavored Coffee syrup (optional)
1. Cut the white ends off the Asparagus and then chop the rest of the stem into bite sized pieces. Set aside
2. Cook the turkey bacon. Set aside.
3. In a skillet add 2 TBL of Bacon Syrup or a pat of butter. Cook the Asparagus on medium heat until tender. Should be about 15 minutes. Maybe longer. Test it and see if you like it.
4. Take the Turkey Bacon and cut it up. Add it to the cooked Asparagus. Enjoy !!
CLICK HERE FOR PDF VERSION FOR YOUR FILES
Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Home for the Holidays Stocking Project
by Kimberly Chaffee
Kimberly's Fabric Stash
I was excited to receive the complete line of Home for the Holidays from Northcott Fabrics a couple of weeks back. Yes, Christmas comes to us in the lovely month of May. When others are excited to put in their gardens, my eyes light up, and my heart flutters for the UPS truck bringing me Christmas Fabric.
The line boasts birds, plaids, poinsettia's, stripes, and easy cut out patterns for stockings and an apron. The stockings are sold as a set of two, as you see pictured. You get a front and a back of each stocking. The white stocking depicts the birds, and the black background has the plaid with the poinsettia.
Since the panel only has the front and the back of the stocking, I thought we should make an easy tutorial on how to make the stocking with batting and lining.
505 Basting Spray
Fusible Batting from Quilters Dream (THE BEST)
Fabric for lining- 1 yard
Bias Tape Maker
Cut 2- 4 1/2" strips. Set aside for the Stockings Loop.
Next, take some of the bias tape you made and sew it along the top edge of each stocking front and back. Trim even with each side. Place stocking front and back together with the lining sides together. Pin in place, making sure it is all even.
LOOP MAKING STEP:
Take the 4 1/2" Loop fold in half lengthwise, press, open, fold in each side lengthwise again, and then fold in half. Press. Stitch.
Optional Step: Glue Baste the binding down, allow it to dry, and then topstitch it in place.
Topstitch the Binding to the Stocking front and back. ** BE SURE TO ADD THE LOOP about 1" in from the back edge of stocking. I used a zigzag stitch, to attach the binding, but you can choose whichever you would like.
Give everything a nice press and enjoy !!!